kde-workspace dependency

Afief Halumi afief.h at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:31:24 BST 2011

Hello,

I was trying to install kdevelop in my home directory at work. But the
dependency on kde-workspace is keeping me from doing so.

We are using an old and proven Linux distro and it'll probably be years
before we upgrade to something that is slightly newer, and on such an old
system it seems that kde-workspace is chocking on some OpenGL. This is
keeping me from building kde-workspace and thus kdevelop.

I don't follow the internals of kde or kdevelop, but the kde-workspace
README says that anything that typical applications(e.g not a panel or a
screensaver, which is stuff that is tied to the workspace) should not depend
on kde-workspace. Is there a good reason for this dependency? Can it perhaps
be made optional for those of us unlucky enough to not have a fully
installed KDE system?

Thanks in advance,
Afief