KDevelop Mega Poll (WAS: Qt Designer plugin)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Oct 20 09:11:41 BST 2011

On Wednesday 19 October 2011 14:11:42 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 October 2011 10:28:22 Mark Knecht wrote:

> >> Is there any interest in those aspiring to program and the
> >> interests/problems we have vs what I suspect are mostly a group of
> >> folks that are already very accomplished programmers?
> >>
> >> I joined this list about a year ago. My interests tend to be very much
> >> orthogonal to most of what gets done with the tools today and I have
> >> made very little progress to date, mostly because it (programming and
> >> to a great extent the tools) isn't easy. :-)
> >
> > Sure, while this would be a good thing™ it's really complicated to do
> > right. And as usual in the FOSS world one tends to fix his own itches.
> > And since we are all already "accomplished programmers" we know that
> > there is still lots of room for improvement.
> >
> > Personally, I am a complete self-taught programmer. Tutorials and a plain
> > text editor where pretty much all I had back then, and I think KDevelop's
> > semantic analysis etc. pp. already go much in the direction of helping
> > you finding your way around existing code (which btw. teaches you a lot,
> > I tell you).
> >
> > Anyhow, I do see that KDevelop really could use some usability work in
> > some
> > places. Suggestions welcome, as always. But don't just say "this sucks",
> > we'll have to know what would be better for a newcomer.
> >
> > Bye
> > --
> > Milian Wolff
>
> Hi Milian,
>    You can be assured that I would _never_ say 'this sucks' about the
> program. It's neither true about the program nor fair to the
> programmers!

Haha, nah, that was me paraphrasing ;-) I've seen many bug reports which did
not literarily say "this sucks" but put it into nice words without actually
giving more input. I just wanted to be consise here ;-)

>    The most I'd say (if I was to say anything at all) would be about
> how things could be made easier for both new programmers like me as
> well as people programming in not so standard languages or hardware
> models. That might not even mean a change for the program itself but
> rather some sort of infrastructure around the program.
>
>    As an example, my interest is learning how to program for the
> Nvidia CUDA architecture. I've looked at it a bit over the last year,
> and bought a book with examples that work if I do it all by hand in a
> bunch of text files, but when I tried to figure out how to doi it in
> any of the easily available IDE's available on Gentoo I ran into so
> many questions I didn't know where to go and gave up. (And didn't
> really want to bother people here about that if they weren't
> interested.)

But how can we as KDevelop programmers help here? We'd need someone with
knowledge about CUDA and the same goes for many/most other toolkits,
frameworks & languages out there!

>    Anyway, that's the sort of thing I was thinking about when I popped
> up with my first question.

Sure, I can see how this is useful for you. But take into account that this
poll - if it was to be conducted - should give use usable results. I.e. stuff
we the current KDev hackers could work on. I.e.: These ideas should be
generic, and concentrate on improving existing features...

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de