Qt Designer plugin

Valentyn Pavliuchenko valentyn.pavliuchenko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:25:13 BST 2011

2011/10/18 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>

> On 17.10.11 23:21:24, Valentyn Pavliuchenko wrote:
> > > Is it loaded? (Help->About Plugins) If not, check the verbose output of
> > > kdevelop, in particular the shell area. I bet the plugin version is too
> > > old for whatever KDevplatform version you have. Its stuck at v9, which
> > > means kdevplatform 1.0.
> >
> > No, it's not loaded (don't see it on Loaded Plugins).
> > KDevelop is almost silent in console (I'm using my distro's build now) -
> how
> > to enable logging?
>
> kdebugdialog.

Thanks! Will try tonight.

> > > But you shouldn't really use that plugin anyway, it may eat your
> > > children, dog, cats and money :) Use the standalone Qt designer. Its
> > > unmaintained since 2 years and never really worked properly.
> >
> > I don't care about my children, dogs, cats, money, etc. I just want
> designer
> > integration - this is a must for any modern IDE.
>
> No its not. I've been hacking quite some time now and the occassional
> need for a gui-designer comes up mostly when layouts don't behave
> logical or when needing a tool to quickly click together a mockup.
> Neither of the cases needs an integration into the IDE.

That's for you. I don't say that everyone needs that, but it's the tool
required by many people.

> > P.S. Using separate Qt Designer sucks - first letter in IDE means
> > Integrated.
>
> But the word "Integrated" doesn't tell anything about what is integrated
> into the Development Environment ;P

Ok, I will try to define an "ideal" IDE: when everything needed for
development is properly integrated without a functionality loss. Do you
agree with this definition? :)

Apart from that, there's no integration in the plugin. It merely adds a
> ton of actions/menus that look out of place and a bunch of toolviews
> that similarly are out of place. Not to mention that the workspace
> concept used by designer does not fit with kdevelop that good either.
> There's no kind of real integration of the designer, like being able to
> auto-complete in C++ for things set up in the .ui file. No support when
> renaming sth. in either C++ or the ui file for the other side. etc.
> Thats what Integrated really means in IDE, not that the IDE opens the
> file embedded instead of in a separate top-level window.

I agree with you completely.
This is not a real integration, but embedded designer is still IMHO better
than external app. And can be treated as the starting point for real
integration.

>  > And UI designer is essential part.
>
> Try telling that Linus Torvalds, or the Apache people ;)

Not for everyone!:)

>  > I bet it's one of the main reasons why people use QtCreator instead of
> > KDevelop, even when it loses in language support.
>
> You have any evidence of that?

Yes, I saw the people that use Qt Creator because of that.

FYI, I was recommending KDevelop where possible, but not everyone agreed.
Summarizing what I've heard from people - their reasons for using Qt Creator
instead of KDevelop are:
- qmake with its simplicity (cmake is complex for newbies)
- designer
- KDE-phobia - some people hate any software that depends on kdelibs because
they need to install a lot of dependencies to use that software. + Gentoo
users that need to compile all that stuff.

> Please don't rant unless you want to
> stop getting any help from anybody on this list.

Sorry for the rude e-mail - yesterday wasn't my best day...

Best regards,
Valentyn Pavliuchenko