questions/suggestions

Wolf Behrenhoff wolf at behrenhoff.de
Sat Jun 11 00:24:20 BST 2011

Hello KDevelop team,

I am using KDevelop almost every day and really like it :-) - although I am
sure I am using only a subset of the functionality.

I have got four questions:

0. When opening KDevelop, it tries to restore all files that were open last
time. However, if the files are not available (I my case that usually means I
forgot to get a Kerberos token) KDevelop starts with an empty workspace. Could
there be a dialog like "Cound not open files (list of files). <Try Again>
<Continue without opening them>"?

1. I usually have the Filesystem on the left side of my screen and the source
code on the right side. Sometimes I want to see more of the filesystem,
sometimes less, so I use the splitter between the to windows. Sometimes it
happens that the Filesystem becomes suddenly undocked when clicking on the
splitter, and then I cannot move it any longer. Even closing and reopening the
Filesystem does not help in that case. I've also played around with the
diamond on top which usually does docking/undocking. It then stops working. I
have experienced this especially on smaller screens when lots of source code
files are open. The only "solution" I found is to restart KDevelop... Is this
problem known and is there a solution?

2. Is it possible to hide certain files in the filesystem view? The folders I am
browsing through usually contain .cc, .h, .py, and .pyc files. However, I don't
want to open any pyc (compiled Python) with KDevelop, so it would be great if
I could hide these files.

3. Is it possible to add a global include path (e.g. I'd like to add
/usr/local/include/root - independent of the file location)? Adding include
paths in /home/$USER/.kdev_include_paths does not help if the file you are
looking at is actually /afs/site/some/long/path/other_user/public/file.cc (and
where you do not have write access to any of the directories).

Initially I planned to ask two questions... Now there are four :-( But I hope
you can help me anyway :-)

Thanks in advance
  Wolf