Remote, embedded debugging

Mon Jun 6 08:09:40 BST 2011

On Saturday 04 Jun 2011 12:10:21 AM Niko Sams wrote:
> The first workaround is needed because you use a gdb script (configured in
> the launch configuration). If you use a gdb script kdevelop doesn't "file"
> or "run" for you,
> as you are supposed to do that in your script.
> Is that a wrong assumption?

IMHO the only difference that should exist is the addition of "-x
/path/to/gdbinit" in the invocation of gdb.

But there could be some differences. Like in some cases after all the init
stuff, when working with arm bare metal code, gdb expect "continue" instead of
"run". That again is for actual hardware. However, when running on the arm
simulator, gdb expects "run"!

Ideally, gdbinit file should just do the init stuff and then let kdev setup the
breakpoints and stuff and then execute.

In my use with bare-metal code, I execute "gdb -x /path/to/gdbinit
/file/to/debug" to debug. In the gdbinit file I end it with the "load"
instruction and manually execute "c" (or "run" in case of a simulator) after
setting up the breakpoints as needed at the time.
--
Cheers!
Kishore