Alternative tools setup?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Feb 6 09:08:25 GMT 2011

Mark Knecht, 06.02.2011:
> Hello,
>    New KDevelop user, not much of a programmer. Just curious about
> doing some CUDA programming. I found KDevelop after a few hours
> looking for a problem in vi and not seeing it. In KDevelop I found the
> problem in 2 minutes. If nothing else good happens today a big thanks
> for that anyway!
>
>    I'm interested in programming for CUDA and therefore need to define:
>
> 1) A different template - *.cu files - which are C like, not C++ as
> far as I can tell right now. (I know very little C and no C++ so maybe
> I'm wrong about that. Just learning now...)

First up - we only have a C++ plugin. It of course supports many parts of C
but still some parts of C99 (or C++0x) are not yet supported. Anyways, just
try it out. You might want to edit kdevcppsupport.desktop and add the mimetype
of *.cu files to X-KDevelop-SupportedMimeTypes. Run kbuildsycoca4 after
editing. Oh and to find out the mimetype: kmimetypefinder /path/to/file.cu
To change the mimetype: Systemsettings -> File Associations

> 2) A different compiler - nvcc

That is dependent on your toolchain, if you use CMake you can define
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER or CMAKE_C_COMPILER env vars properly. There should be info
to be found online about how to do that for your toolchain. not really related
to KDevelop though, as we just reuse the Makefiles without generating them
ourselfes.

bye
--
Milian Wolff