Cannot detach tool views and editor?

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 07:19:58 GMT 2011

Hi everybody,

The recent release of 4.2 gave me a chance to (re)evaluate using Kdevelop as
my primary IDE. It has plenty of tempting features and I may well do the
switch for real this time.

The tool views are especially great, but there is one limitation that takes
some of their greatness away. Like many people today, I program on a dual
screen configuration. One screen is vertical and contains my main code
window - the second is horizontal and holds documentation and other stuff.
What I would love to do is to have the main window (or text editor part) on
the vertical screen, and be able to detach useful tool views and place them
on the second screen. I have looked for a way to do this, but haven't been
able to find it. Is it possible at all? If not, is there any reason for this
behavior? The cool thing with dockable widgets is the ability to configure
them as you wish - I'd really like to see this feature in Kdevelop some day.

Thanks,
Alex.