kdevelop on linux kernel sources shows no uses of structure fields

Jeff Haran jharan at bytemobile.com
Tue Dec 13 02:56:58 GMT 2011

Hi,

I am using Kdevelop version 4.2.3 on a Fedora Linux PC. I imported a
linux kernel source tree (linux kernel version 2.6.32) into it as a
project. After a few hours, this importation appeared to complete.

When I open the source file include/linux/skbuff.h and hover the mouse
cursor over the following declaration in the definition of the sk_buff
structure:

	__u32		priority;

A window pops up that says:

	__u32 priority
	Container: sk_buff Access: public Kind: variable definition
	Decl: skbuff.h: 339 Show Uses

I then click "Show Uses" hoping to see where this structure field is
referenced. A window then pops up that says:

	Uses of sk_buff::priority
	File: <path>/skbuff.h    (0 uses)
	Definition
	Line 339 __u32 priority:

It apparently thinks that the field is never referenced. I know from
code inspection that this is not the case. When I do the same on other
fields of struct sk_buff, the same thing happens, "0 uses" is shown.

Is there some other step that necessary in order to get Kdevelop to show
me where structure fields are referenced?

Thanks,

Jeff Haran