[GSoC Proposal] Better Version control front-end

Miha Čančula miha.cancula at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 22:15:27 BST 2010

2010/3/30, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> On 30.03.10 18:48:42, Miha Čančula wrote:
>> >
>> > These are some of the things really missing, especially since they
>> > enable
>> > creation of project from a VCS.
>> I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you mean here.
>
> What I mean is that a remote repository tracker/viewer is something
> thats needed to checkout a project from VCS and open it inside KDevelop
> without leaving the IDE. Thats something thats really missing right now.
Agreed, having the whole workflow in one program without distractions
is easier and faster. I'll definitely focus on achieving this in the
proposal/project.

Maybe menu actions aren't the best place, but I still think there
should be some KDE-specific shortcuts, primarily for KDE SVN. Part of
the workflow is also searching for the project's repository. This,
however, raises the question of where to get that shortcuts.

Perhaps an additional (non-pure) virtual function for plugins to
specify special servers? A plugin-level serch function? KNewStuff? If
none of these seems feasible or logical, there's always the fallback
of the user putting in the full path.