getting started (and bugs)

Tue Jun 22 06:18:16 BST 2010

On Tuesday 22 Jun 2010 4:59:09 am D. R. Evans wrote:
> For example, there's nothing there about the directory structure (so that
> users would know even such basic stuff as where to put files); nor how to
> add files to a project;

KDevelop does not enforce a directory structure. This is entirely governed by
your needs and the build system that you use.

> nor how to configure a project.

This AFAIK is only supported currently for projects that use the CMake build
system.

> I thought that if I just created the simple "Hello, World" console project,
> I could at least figure out how to change things incrementally (by adding
> and removing files, and changing the configuration item by item) so that it
> eventually morphed into the project I wanted to import. But even with the
> sample "Hello, World" project in front of me, I couldn't figure out much at
> all.

As said, KDevelop does not enforce anything with file/directory structure.
Adding new files to the project should be done with the process that your build
system uses. KDevelop does provide some support for this for cmake by stating
a wizard when generating new c++ classes and tries to make a best guess with
regard to including the files in the respective CMakeLists.txt.

> It wasn't even obvious how to run the compiled executable -- even
> though there's a menu called "Run". Somewhere I'm sure there's a user
> manual that describes everything in adequate detail, but I'm still looking
> for it :-(

KDevelop4 did get a little more complicated here in the interest of making it
more flexible. Once you have the project configured, you can add the executable
to be run from the Run->"Configure Launches..." menu.
--
Cheers!
Kishore