How do I...

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Feb 9 19:43:20 GMT 2010

On 09.02.10 18:29:33, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> Am Dienstag 09 Februar 2010 13:00:35 schrieb Valentin Pavlyuchenko:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here are the things I know:
> >
> > Using cmake:
> > > 1) How do I create additional targets in the current project
> >
> > These commands define custom targets in cmake:
> >
> > add_executable()
> > add_library()
> > add_custom_target()
> >
> [...]
>
> thanks for all that suggestions, but isn't managing the underlying build
> environment and its configuration files the job of an IDE? Why isn't there a
> dialog where I can add/modify the targets and kdevelop does all necessary
> steps to integrate them into the cmake-files (or other files if other tools
> are used) ?

We've dropped most of the huge amount of GUI that kdev3 had for
autotools because:

a) there's too few people to maintain this amount of complex gui code
b) most beginner users won't need it anyway
c) most experienced users will not be satisfied by any GUI for a complex
   buildsystem such as cmake or autotools
d) craming the complex options of a buildsystem as autotools or cmake
   into a usable GUI is doomed to fail.

Instead we treat buildsystem just like any other language and provide
documentation, code-navigation and auto-completion as well as
refactoring. I'm not sure to which extent all of these are implemented
right now for CMake, but thats the overall plan.

There's an API for creating a target in the underlying plugins for the
buildsystems, so I'm pretty sure we'll have a similar context menu
option to add file/folder/class in the future.

Andreas

--
Do what comes naturally.  Seethe and fume and throw a tantrum.