Kdevelop 4 Assistance?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Nov 18 18:50:31 GMT 2009

On 18.11.09 08:30:01, Rob Frohne wrote:
> I recently upgraded Ubuntu, and it feels like I lost my IDE.  I need
> a tutorial or documentation on how to get Kdevelop 4 set up as

Doesn't exist as thats a Beta. Also I'd like to point out that the Beta
is pretty old and you shouldn't file any bugreports with it.

> 1)  How do I add QT documentation to the Documentation panel.
> Presently it says "There is no documentation selected yet."

Doesn't exist afaik.

> 2)  How do I add an environment variable before launching the
> application?  (There seems to be a pull down tab now that doesn't do
> anything for me.)

The acutal environments are configured under Settings->Configure
KDevelop (yes I know a link is missing)

> 3)  How do I add the QT source so that I can look at definitions
> there, etc.?

You don't. C++ support will parse all included headers from your sources
if it can find them. That either needs a cmake project or you need to
fill in the include paths in the assistant that pops up when you set the
cursor onto an #include line with red underlines.

> 4)  How do I make "Jump to Declaration" or "Jump to Definition"
> work.  Presently, nothing happens when I highlight a function call
> and I select those from the navigation menu?

See above. Oh and you also need enable parsing all project files under
Settings->KDevelop->Project

> 5)  How do I go back to a place where I just was after using the
> code browser link to see what is going on?

View->Previous Context most probably.

> 6)  Is there a way to get the editor to use the same code formatting
> that the present source is using?  (I don't like reformatting it,
> because then when I check that back into SVN, the important changes
> are lost in the process and other developers will have the same
> problem I am now facing.)

See Settings->Configure Editor for on-the-fly formatting and
Edit->Reformat Sources for complete reformatting (configuration for
that is under settings->configure KDevelop->Formatting)

> 7)  How do I get Kdevelop Help intalled?  Right now, I get "There is
> no documentation available for /kdevelop/index.html."

That doesn't exist.

> 8)  Is there a Kdevelop 4 Tutorial somewhere?

No.

> 9)  Is there a good way to install Kdevelop 3.5 on Ubuntu 9.10?  I
> tried https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Karmic and then
> installing Kdevelop 3.5, but there were errors in the installation,
> so I uninstalled KDE 3.5.

Compile Qt3,KDE3 and KDevelop3 from sources I guess. Unless of course
your new ubuntu ships any of that.

> 10)  How do I get "What's this?" documentation installed?

?? Whats this is available under Help, anything that doesn't show you a
text when clicking on it with the whats-this cursor doesn't have whats
this docs.

> 11)  What is the "Enable Source Browse Mode" supposed to do?  I seem
> to have the code browser things working all the time, whether this
> is selected or not.

You can click on functions/classes to jump to their definition for example

> I am kind of getting the idea that Kdevelop 4 is not really ready
> for real development use, and I perhaps I should spend my effort
> trying to get Kdevelop 3.5 installed again.  What do you recommend?

Various people already use KDev4, but many things from KDevelop3 aren't
there or are working differently. So while it works rather well already
for C++ development (with CMake), it might need some time got get
accustomed to it. If you don't want to spend that time, find a way to
use KDevelop3.

Andreas

--
Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.