importing a project

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jan 7 23:24:29 GMT 2007

On 07.01.07 13:40:49, datax wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > I think the only way for you is to either disable it completely which
> > removes nearly all advanced-editing features from KDevelop or to really
> > consider upgrading to 3.4 (it really works much better than 3.3 and the
> > parser is known to not loop in certain cases anymore).
> >
> I dont think this is an upgrade issue, and here is why. Another engineer
> in my office can parse the u-boot-1.1.6 project from www.denx.de just
> fine and browse caller/callee with a RHEL installation which is, I
> believe, KDevelop 3.3.1.

Thats an important piece of information. If 3.3.1 can parse it, 3.3.x
with x > 1 should be able to parse it too.

> Therefore, I have to believe there is some setup with KDevelop that I
> dont understand that will allow KDevelop to properly parse a
> well-behaved C project. U-boot is a well behaved C project and is used
> in many locations for boot loaders for embedded devices using arm, ppc &
> mips processors.

Project->Import Project and choose a proper template. I don't know what
type of project this u-boot is, so I can't suggest which type to use.

There is no way to tweak the C++ parser in KDevelop and its also not
about well-behaved C project or not. Even a well behaved C project might
use a C feature which is a problem for our parser.

> Is there some documentation you could point me to that will allow me to
> understand how different arguments to KDevelop and one or more
> configuration files that could allow some deeper understanding of why
> KDevelop can parse a well-behaved C project on some computers, but not
> others?

All I can point you too are the various tutorials and the kdevelop
handbook. You can't change the behaviour of the parser.

There's one last thing you can try: Run kdevelop inside gdb and when it
starts looping, i.e. a short while after finishing the
import-project-dialog, send it a SIGSTOP and when gdb allows you to
execute commands again run bt. Post the output of that here, it might
give us a hint which code loops.

Andreas

--
You have a will that can be influenced by all with whom you come in contact.