how to seperate project files from source files in different dirs?

JeDi jeroen.dierckx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:05:28 BST 2007

Hi,

On 8/1/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 01.08.07 20:26:26, shizheng wrote:
> > I'm new to kdevelop, so I just can't figure it out that project files
> > and source files
> > must be arranged in the same directory :( Could you please explain it to me?
>
> Its implemented like that, kdevelop will put 2 of its files into the
> source directory and there's  no easy way to change that and also
> probably nobody who wants to write the code for that.

I understand why someone would do this. We are a research company that
write code that has to run on very different setups and architectures,
most of them using different build environments. If all the project
files of each build environment would sit in the source code
directories, it would be a mess to manage.

We have a directory setup like this:
- bin/win32_debug, bin/linux_debug, ... -> shared libraries and
executables will be output to these paths
- lib/win32_debug, lib/macos_release, ... -> link libraries for
different platforms will be output to here if necessary
- src -> source code (headers and source files), in a subdirectory per
library/executable
- buildenv/vs2005, buildenv/codeblocks, ... -> a subdirectory for each
build environment. All project files and other build environment
specific files reside here.

This way, we can easily manage our different build environments
without having to clutter the source directory. In KDevelop, this is
very hard to accomplish. Project files should contain files with
relative paths to the directory where the project file sits.

This is probably a design mistake, and not very hard to live with if
you only use kdevelop as build environment, but for a next major
release like KDevelop 4, I would definitely support this. For us (and
probably a lot more companies), this is the reason why we don't use
kdevelop for many projects (we do use it for linux-only projects,
because it is a great application).

Greetz,
JeDi