aclocal and automake versions

Kevin Gilbert kev.gilbert at cdu.edu.au
Thu Sep 14 03:55:45 BST 2006

Hi,

I've been using KDevelop to develop packages for release via kde-apps.org. With one of these I've had reports of my package failing to build (from source) on certain systems. The following is one bug report that I've received.

"During the "make" step of the installation I've got an error about aclocal-1.6 and automake-1.6 because I have the 1.9 versions. I solved it by creating two symbolic links to aclocal-1.9 and automake-1.9 called aclocal-1.6 and automake-1.6.

Maybe you should modify makefile in order to make it search the right version of the two files."

When I inspect my system I get the following:

$ aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9.6
Written by Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com>

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
Written by Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com>.

My questions are: Why does KDevelop insist on using aclocal-1.6 and automake-1.6 when later versions exist on the local machine? How can I force KDevelop to produce config files that just use alocal and automake without any version specifiers?

Cheers,

Kevin

--
Kevin Gilbert