An IDE called 'QDevelop'

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Thu Nov 30 04:59:44 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 18:25, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > 2. I really fail to see whats so unique in "kdevelop" word that nobody
> > can use "[A-Z]develop" from now on; it's obvious that people will presume
> > its an IDE for QT (thats the first thing it crossed my mind) and I dont
> > see any problem with that
>
> I guess we can close this discussion. "KDevelop" name is not copyrighted
> but to avoid confusion (about source code bases) I've asked QDevelop
> author to add a paragraph onto the website with explanation and
> I think that's perfectly enough (see http://www.qdevelop.org/).

Hi,

I've noticed QDevelop also recently and also fell over the discussion here.
I'm not acitve any more because life changes, but on that issue I'd like to
throw in at least my input as I started writing KDevelop from the beginning.

I would like to remind that as soon as you start using a name, it has the
legal status like a trademark, you can claim the first use (and also the
trademark). So, KDevelop is actually to be seen as a trademark.

The second thing is, that the KDE e.V. has been (re)activated to also protect
the name KDE as a trademark as well as the most important projects which are
(loosely) tied to KDE, namely KOffice and KDevelop. So, I would suggest you
guys contact the KDE e.V. Board and carry the discussion over, so we would
not loose the trademark by knowingly accepting someone else to use a name
similar to the trademarked name KDevelop (which is what is legally happening
if you get to know someone is potentially violating a non-trademarked
trademark).  I'm sure you can get to an agreement with the author, because it
is not bad will to ask a name change but to protect the trademark of KDevelop
that would otherwise be endangered. Besides that, the project QDevelop is a
copy in itself enough that I wouldn't really like someone to also make the
name so similar that it really seems to be a 1:1 copy with a different name.
Not even The Kompany has been so blunt with their KDE Studio at the time when
they tried to make a commercial development environment that was aimed at
copying KDevelop's features and look to ride on the work that free developers
did for free and make money out of that.

Just in case, I'm CC'ing Eva, so maybe she can add her input here.

Thanks for listening,

Ralf