Getting rid of writting C++ boilerplate code

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jul 3 22:28:28 BST 2006

On 03.07.06 22:37:45, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Monday, 3. July 2006 21:26, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Also it sounds from your description as you want this to work while
> > typing, I don't think that is a good idea because it potentially slows
> > down typing. I think a keyboard shortcut for both, that takes the
> > current position in the file as context is better, i.e. activating
> > rename when beiing somewhere at a method opens up a dialog to rename
> > that method...
>
> In opposition, I think that this kind of feature should indeed happen
> automatically, otherwise you're quicker doing it by hand.

Well, I don't think so. Renaming a method can mean to update 1 header
but four handful of implementation files. Not to mention moving a file,
method, class whatever... I'm certainly not faster doing it by hand.

You also have to make sure that all files are saved before changing
them, I think and there you'd definetly have a gui-thing pop up anyway.

> It would be perfectly ok to only have it applied after a short time of no
> keyboard input (say, 1 second or 2), then it doesn't distract typing.

Hmm, maybe that would work. I certainly normally disable code completion
because it distracts too much from typing....

> Also, Katepart should really be fast enough to handle this simultaneously.
> (It doesn't even have to be saved, that normally happens on build when you
> need it, so no slowdown by slow hard disks.)

Another question is: Does Kate or KDevelop even allow this (yet)? I mean
you'd always need to check wether the just typed letter changed a method
name. Now I don't know how the class view currently works, but I don't
think it's constantly reparsing the file beeing edited is it?

Andreas

--
Domestic happiness and faithful friends.