qmake, qt and license question

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Jan 15 11:40:16 GMT 2006

On Sunday, 15. January 2006 06:08, kitts wrote:
> Let me get this right... Does this mean that one can make proprietary
> closed source KDE application using KDevelop and KDesigner without having
> to purchase any license? At best i remember qt requiring a license for
> commercial use and KDE apps tend to use QT!?

No, you can't make a proprietary closed source KDE application without
purchasing a Qt license. You can make proprietary closed source application
using other toolkits like the proposed FLTK, and develop these applications
with KDevelop. If you go that way, you won't use KDevelop Designer (which is
just a derivate of Qt Designer) because it only creates windows and layouts
for use with the Qt toolkit.

> Or does this hold true if the application uses only the KDE API and never
> the Qt API? I am a little confused.

You can't create a KDE application without linking to the Qt libraries.
Therefore, in order to distribute closed source software, you need the same
purchased license as you would need without the KDE libraries.
KDE doesn't get in your way because it uses LGPL libraries (which can be
linked to closed source applications without problems), but it doesn't free
you from needing a Qt license.

In the end, the question
> is it possible to use kdevelop and kdevelop designer
> without encountering the Qt license?
comes down to:
Does my application link to the Qt libraries or not?
it's the same question, essentially.

Regards,
  Jakob