An IDE called 'QDevelop'

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Mon Dec 11 11:23:14 GMT 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 08:20, Oliver Eichler wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> what really puzzles me, is that this little thing really stirs up
> KDevelop. Do you fear that QDevelop could displace KDevelop? Are you
> fighting for market shares? Do you claim the invention of the IDE
> itself? So what is the point?
>
> From the point of view of one of your longterm users:
>
> * I choose KDevelop because it is similar (and in the beginning a copy)
> to Microsoft's Developer Studio.
>
> * The Kompany has even been so blunt with their KDE Studio, to somehow
> 'copy' that name from Microsoft.
>
> * And I do not have the feeling that I am to stupid to distinguish
> between 2 IDEs, what ever they are named. What really wonders me that
> you guys think your users are.
>
> Ralf, you sound a little bit like magenta [1], don't you think? It is
> hard enough to publish open source software, always in fear to get
> hassled by the attorneys of companies. It is sinister to get this
> pressure from other open source projects.
>
> What's so hard to just accept QDevelop as it is?
I think that's what we've agreed to do. KDevelop might be a project staffed by
volunteers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take it seriously. The issue
of Visual Studio vs KDE Studio doesn't matter because nobody is going to
assume that one is derived from the other. It is only because the Qt lib is a
subset of the KDE libs, then you might think that something named QFoobar is
related to another project called KFoobar.

-- Richard