Unicode, wxString, wxChar *, TCHAR *, QString etc.

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Apr 19 17:06:10 BST 2006

I seem to be able to inspect "char *" variables in the watch window. I
believe it's possible to inspect QString's as well.

However, I can't seem to get kdevelop to inspect wchar *, TCHAR * (on a
unicode build), or wxChar *, wxString (wxWidgets string primitives etc.).

Now, I know it would be unrealistic to hope for an IDE which understood
every possible string class, especially when the underlying debugger
(gdb) appears deaf to unicode, but given I'm told kdevelop will
examine a QString, is it possible to extend this functionality? I
am told that the VC++ IDE has a text file which allows (if manually
edited) wxString's to be supported much as it supports MFC CStrings.
Is there (or should there be) similar functionality in kdevelop?

Alex