code formatting while typing

Kitts kitts at hotpop.com
Mon Oct 3 19:43:43 BST 2005

On Monday 03 Oct 2005 4:56 pm IST, Alvin Beach wrote:

AB> Take a look at the Configure Editor menu. For automagically insert
closing
AB> brackets, look at the Editor->Auto Bracket setting. For automagically
AB> handling the indenting, look at Indentation->Identation Mode setting.
AB>
AB> They may not be exactly what you want, but should be pretty close?

This is how i manage currently but as you mention, it is not *exactly* as i
want it. For example, another IDE's editor that is use at work on windows,
does the following when I open a curly braces-

1) It place the cursor immiditately on the next line after an indentation.
2) it places a closing curly brace on the following line unindented.

Such an act improves readability of the code while typing. I expected a
similar behaviour on KDevelop. It is how i understood it from the KDevelop
documentaion on it.

"To set up a specific format style, select Settings->Configure KDevelop...
from the menubar. The Customize KDevelop dialog will pop up, where you have
to select Source Formatter in the left hand tree. This will display a
series of three settings dialog tabs to the right, namely a General
Formatting Setup, a Indentation Style Setup, and a Other Formatting Setup.

Tip
 Any style changes apply to newly entered text only. If you want to change
the formatting style of an already existing source text you will have to
explicitely use the Edit->Reformat Source command."

The additional 'TIP' makes it sounds like the autoformat will work as code
is being typed. Currently using the Edit->Reformat Source command seems to
be the only way to format it apart from  what you just mentioned.

--
Cheers!
Kitts