Debugging issue in KDevelop (developing in Akregator) (Modified by Erik Norvelle)

Erik Norvelle lists at norvelle.org
Wed May 25 15:42:28 BST 2005

Greetings, all...

I have recently begun to participate in development in the Akregator
project (part of kdepim).  I am relatively new to KDE.  I have done a
bit of work on other KDE applications, but nothing extensive.  I am
trying to set up my KDevelop  environment to be able to develop
comfortably in Akregator.  So far I have gotten the sources downloaded
and compiled (now using unsermake), and have built a KDevelop project
that seems to be able to properly browse and build Akregator.

My difficult is in debugging.  For instance, after adding a widget to
one of the Akregator Settings panels (as a self-tutoring exercise), I
am getting a crash when I try to open "Akregator Settings" from within
the program.  I'd like to be able to debug this occurrence to find out
why this is happening.  However, I have been unable to get things to
work.

My approach has  been to run "unsermake install" before debugging.  My
KDevelop "Run" configuration has "Start program in directory" set as
the Akregator source folder (so that gdb can find the sources) and the
program to be run as /home/norvelle/sw/bin/akregator, which is where I
installed the program to.  My KDevelop "Debug" settings are generic...
I point KDevelop to my gdb at /usr/bin/gdb, and that's it.  When I
click "Debug" in KDevelop, the gdb console window open, and it proceeds
to load the library symbols (I compiled akregator with -ggdb to add the
appropriate debug symbols).  GDB then proceeds to die on a "shared
library event".

Is there anybody who knows what might be happening? I'd greatly
appreciate any help.

My development environment is as follows:
Mac OS X 10.3.9
gcc 3.3
KDE 3.3.2
QT 3.3.3