Problem building kdevelop

Martell, Larry martell at aptec.com
Tue May 17 01:07:37 BST 2005

On Sun 5/15/2005 12:45 AM Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>On 14.Mai 2005 - 18:28:42, Martell, Larry wrote:
>> I am on mandrake 10.1 and I am trying to build kdevelop 3.2. I beleive I have
>> all the requsite software, and I've set all the env variables:
>>
>> KDEDIR=/home/larrym/kde3.4/
>> QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qt/lib:/home/larrym/kde3.4//lib:
>> LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qt/lib:/home/larrym/kde3.4//lib:
>> PATH=/usr/local/qt/bin:/home/larrym/kde3.4//bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
>>
>> I am in /usr/local/kdevelop-3.2.0, and as root I am issuing this command:
>
> Why? If you install into you're home as root, the rights will be
> screwed(i.e. the user has probably no right to write). Build as user,
> especially if you're installing into your home.
>
>> ./configure --enable-debug=full --prefix=$KDEDIR --with-kdelibsdoxy-dir=$KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en/kdelibs-apidocs
>>
>> This is failing with:
>>
>> checking for KDE... configure: error:
>> in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
>> So, check this please and use another prefix!
>
> So is he right? configure checks for libkio.la and ksharedptr.h in the
> $KDEDIR/include and $KDEDIR/lib directorys. So check that you installed
> kdelibs properly into that prefix and that these 2 files are really in
> place.

Yes, those files were not present. I though I had done a successful kde build,
but I guess not. I re-built kde then those files were there. Then I was
able to successfully build and install kdevelop (I did it as myself, not as root).

Now, it does run, but many messages are spewed to the xterm I invoked it from.
There are 100's and 100's of them, so I don't want to post them all here.
Most do not look like errors (but I'm not sure). But a few do. There are
a few of these:

kmdi: No main dock widget found

And lots of these:

kmdi: [void KMdiChildArea::focusTopChild()] No more child windows left

Are all these messages normal, or has something gone wrong?

Thanks very much!
-larry