stack problem

Reiner Beck R.Beck at m4com.de
Tue Jul 12 10:51:50 BST 2005

Ellen,

trying to increase the stack size is the wrong solution for your
problem. You should definitely try to reduce the size of your class, as
was suggested in an earlier mail. Just try to imagine what happens if
you copy the class over the stack (e.g. a "push_back()" in a STL vector)
- looming disaster. And more pitfalls to discover ...

Try to allocate the memory in the heap - the change in your code is not
that big (even if you are supposed to change as little as possible: the
change will be a big improvement):

Example:
<code>
class MyClass
{
public:
   MyClass() :
      myArray(NULL)
   {
      myArray = new int[myconst];
      if (myArray == NULL)   // check if you got the memory
      {
         ::exit(1);   // or do something else
      }
   }

   ~MyClass()
   {
      delete [] myArray;   // release the memory
   }

private:
   int* myArray;

};