Two major problems with KDevelop and large projects

Nick Savoiu savoiu at ics.uci.edu
Wed Oct 20 23:15:19 BST 2004

I have a large custom project (>7000files). I love KDevelop but it's getting
harder and harder to use it with this project. Two major issues:

1. when I first create the project KDevelop memory usage spikes to 2.7GB
(the VMSize value reported by KSysGuard) while it's progress bar is around
61%. Eventually memory usage drops back to 150MB but I can't tell you how
much disk trashing occurs even on a machine with 1GB of RAM.

2. subsequent opens of this project require several minutes to complete
(most time is taken by the part where the progress bar is updated)

Can anything be done? I'm willing to help track these issues down. Any
suggestions? I'm using KDE 3.3.0 and KDevelop 3.1.0.

Cheers,
Nick