MPI plugin for KDevelop

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 19:52:30 GMT 2004

Harald,
I use Intel Fortran and Portland Fortran. At one point there was
support for the latter. The problem with all this is that almost all
Fortran programs are build with there own makefiles if at all and that
there is no reasonable way to get compiler options set.

Jump to error does not work with Intel Fortran. Single file compilation
did not work last I tried. CTags don't work for Fortran, mixed project
support for Fortran projects is sort of so so, I have projects where I
have Fortran mixed in with C++ and that sort of works.

All in all I reverted back to using kate and compiling by hand fairly
quickly as KDevelop becomes very, *very* slow when you have project
with many thousand source files.

Additionally many of my legacy routines require you to set specific
compiler options just for one file.

So I see that this is actually a problem that involves many layers. One
has to find a better make system (better that automake), qmake does not
support Fortran at all and I don't know whether cmake could handle any
of this.

Then one has to create a compiler configuration dialog where one can
set the most important options for the Intel compiler. Finally one
would have to add support for Fortran to things like the ctags part and
the output view that show the compiler outputs and so on.

Looks like lot's of work needed here.

Roland

http://www.ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de/abteilungen/sgs/lehre/studentische_arbei