Opening project takes a long time

Nick Savoiu savoiu at ics.uci.edu
Fri Mar 26 03:40:04 GMT 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 12:27 am, Jens Dagerbo wrote:

> On Thursday 25 March 2004 05:42, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a rather large project (1200+ .cpp files and 1200+ .h files) but
> > opening it seems to take too long.
> >
> > If I close the project then open it again without changing any of the
> > source files it takes 3 minutes a dual Xeon 2.4GHz machine. The
> > 'Updating' phase starts after a minute and takes the next two.
> >
> > Why does it take so long? Is it updating the autocompletion info? There
> > is hardly any disk activity (I have 1 GB RAM so I think most of the files
> > are in the file cache already).
>
> What KDevelop version are you using? Note that 3.0.2 should potentially be
> much faster at opening a large project than 3.0.0.

I'm using 3.0.2 on KDE 3.2.1.

> Are you reopening a lot of files during project load?

Not really, less than 10 files.

> What build system is the project using, custom makefiles or Automake?

It's a 'custom makefiles' project.

> Are you using the FileGroups plugin? (could be very slow in 3.0.0)

I turned that off but it didn't seem to make much difference. It seems
KDevelop does not use much CPU time even though plenty is available.

> Are you one of the unfortunate Mandrake users that needs to kill the .pcs
> file everytime you load the project?

I'm running on RedHat 8.

> Your project is large, but I restore the Linux sources (16000 files) in 3,5
> minutes on my P4/1800, so something probably is slowing you down.

I've noted KDevelop and even KDE to be a bit sluggish. I had built both using
Konstruct from the 3.2.1 release.

Nick