Migrating from KDev2 to KDev3

Tarjei Knapstad tarjei.knapstad at predichem.com
Thu Mar 25 13:06:05 GMT 2004

Hi,

Yesterday I installed a new box with Fedora Core 1 and all the updates,
as well as KDE 3.2.1 with KDevelop 3.0.2.

We've been developing a Qt based project with Kdevelop 2 up until now
(autoconf/automake based), but I guess it's time to move on :) I
stumbled across a few problems however when trying to migrate the
project:

0. First off, is there any howto/faq/doc (in addition to what's found in
the manual) for migrating projects from KDevelop 2 to 3?

1. From the documentation I read that converting a project is easy as
pie - just open a KDevelop 2 project file and off you go. That kind of
worked, but the Automake manager is missing, together with all the menu
options for running automake, configure and so on. Also the "Project
options" dialog is missing all the "usual" stuff I get when creating a
new autoconf/automake based project. Am I missing something, or is this
broken?

2. I "fixed" the above by just using the "Import existing project",
pointing it to a fresh CVS checkout of my project dir, and selecting
"Generic C++ Application (Automake based)". Things work better now, but
there's one problem with .ui files. In Kdevelop2 the generated header
and implementation files from a .ui file ended up in the same directory
as the rest of the sources, so I've used

   #include "GeneratedFromUIHeader.h"

in all my code. Now however, these generated headers end up in the
target compilation directory (debug for the time being), so I end up
with missing include files. I could just add the build directories to my
include path of course, but is there a better way?

Hope someone can give me some tips on how I can most successfully "port"
my project!

Thanks in advance,
--
Tarjei