Would *you* try this? ccache 4 to 5 times faster compiles?

Justin Randall logic at jrlogic.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 27 15:29:49 GMT 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 11:56 pm, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 February 2004 09:01 pm, Pupeno wrote:
> > I used it lots of times, didn't find diferences on small programs, but
> > when making rpms, for little mistakes you might need to recompile
> > everything, and it speeds up a lot,
>
> I wonder if it can cause problems.  I typically compile KDevelop a couple
> times a day, and don't want to introduce any significant sources of hidden
> problems on my end.  OTOH, a fresh build can take a very long time.

I've been using ccache + distcc with no problems on very large projects. I've
never had ccache deliver a bad object. I have seen distcc fail to properly
report error output from a failed compile (due to errors in the code, not
distcc). Running the compile again usually gets the correct error output so I
can fix the code.

It would be very nice to have a distccmon plugin for kdevelop (ala
Incredibuild for Windows). A gnome/gtk+ based monitor alread exists.

As for the setup, have a look at the instructions at:

http://ccache.samba.org/
and
http://distcc.samba.org/

I run them in user space on my RPM-based systems and set my path to
$HOME/ccache/bin:$HOME/distcc/bin:$PATH and it just works automagically.