ui.h troubles

John A. Sullivan III john.sullivan at nexusmgmt.com
Sat Feb 7 23:53:27 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 17:30, Eike Welk wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there an elegant way to make KDevelop recompile the generated cpp
> file after I change the ui.h file?
>
> When a file (the ui.h) is modified outside of KDevelop it notices the
> fact by changing the tab icon, but there is no dialog that reminds me
> to reload the file. Where is the checkbox to enable it? Should I file
> a whish list?
>
> How do I debug code inside the ui.h file? gdb complains the the ui.h
> file does not exist, and it does not stop at a breakpoint placed
> inside the file. Is this a bug? A whish list? My fault?
<snip>
This is one of the reasons why I reluctantly abandoned .ui.h files.  I
now create the form in Designer but then immediately subclass it and
place all logic in the implementation files of the subclass.  I suppose
this has the added benefit of separating interface from logic.

Debugging .ui.h files is a real pain because gdb does not immediately
recognize them as source files.  I used to create a menu item which
intentionally provoked a segmentation fault just so that the debugger
would stop with the .ui.h file loaded and then I could place breakpoints
in the .ui.h file.  I never tried this but I think you could place a
breakpoint in main after instantiating your main form and then add
breakpoints to the .ui.h file after that.  I also never tried launching
the application, pausing the application and then trying to set a
breakpoint.

Good luck - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer
john.sullivan at nexusmgmt.com
---
If you are interested in helping to develop a GPL enterprise class
VPN/Firewall/Security device management console, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net