KDevelop and libGL.la

Segedunum segedunum at actuaria.co.uk
Sun Aug 15 22:41:04 BST 2004

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a strange problem compiling KDevelop from CVS. The linking
phase of the build process fails because of the following errors:

<snip>
linking ./vcs/perforce/libkdevperforce.la
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
linking ./vcs/subversion/libkdevsubversion.la
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
linking ./src/kdevelop
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
linking ./src/kdevassistant
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/libGL.la' seems to be moved
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
</snip>

Every other KDE component (kdelibs, kdebase etc.) compiles and links fine, and
they must link to GL libraries as well. I've tried uninstalling my GL
libraries, re-installing X and installing my GL libraries - same result.

I am compiling this under a development user (quality guide), and not under
root. libGL.la is indeed in the location /usr/lib. The permissions are set to
read for all other users (other than root). I cannot see anything untoward in
it:

# libGL.la - a libtool library file
# Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.4 (1.920 2001/04/24 23:26:18)
#
# Please DO NOT delete this file!
# It is necessary for linking the library.

# The name that we can dlopen(3).
dlname='libGL.so.1'

# Names of this library.
library_names='libGL.so.1.0.5336 libGL.so.1 libGL.so'

# The name of the static archive.
old_library=''

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lm -lX11 -lXext -ldl     '

# Version information for libGL.
current=1
age=0
revision=5336

# Is this an already installed library?
installed=yes

# Files to dlopen/dlpreopen
dlopen=''
dlpreopen=''

# Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
libdir='/usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib'

I have also tried using the generic X libraries, but still the same result.
This hasn't happened before so I'm wondering what has happened here, if this
is a known issue, in what way KDevelop uses the GL libraries and what is
likely to be causing it.

Thanks in advance,

David