Automated unit testing framework

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Thu Jun 19 10:19:04 BST 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 09:17, julien at izforge.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering wether there is a good test framework available for C++
> applications. I suppose some of you know about JUnit (http://www.junit.org/)
> which is quite famous for Java apps. There are ports for Python and even C++.
> However I don't know how good or bad it is for C++.

We use CPPUnit in a production environment, and so far it has fulfilled
all our needs. I'm considering making a move to Boost.Test though as
this seems to be a lot more flexible, but I have no urgent reasons to do
so - CPPUnit is just fine for the moment.

> So maybe some people could tell me:
> 1/ Which unit testing framework is fine for C++ (if any) ?

Either CPPUnit or Boost.Test. If I were to choose now, I'd probably have
chosen Boost.Test.

> 2/ Are there plans to integrate it into Gideon ?

I don't know anything about this :)

> I'm very impressed by how Gideon evolves. For instance the Valgrind integration
> is wonderful. I guess it should be possible to do the same for an automated
> testing framework. The Eclipse integration of JUnit is for instance a very good
> sample.

Certainly.

Regards,
--