KDevelop development questions

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Thu Jun 5 17:46:00 BST 2003

Hi,

I hope you're talking about KDevelop 3.0, since the 2.x branch is no longer
maintained...

> Is there a body which governs the development of KDevelop?  Are there
> any full-time KDevelop developers out there?  If I request a
> modification to KDevelop, is there someone who will evaluate and
> implement that modification?  Or am I expected to make the change
> myself?

KDevelop is open source, so you can't expect anyone to do anything for you.
Sometimes it might just happen, espcially when a change makes sense and is
useful, since most of the KDevelop developers are using KDevelop to actually
develop.

No one can hinder you to offer money to someone to implement your features,
though :) A good example is Andreas M., who gets payed to develop for Quanta.

> If I do modify the KDevelop code myself, who is to decide if the
> modification is suitable for release?  It is possible that someone out
> there will not like my changes and change them back?

Basically the guys who do the work decide what goes in and what not, it is
mostly based on common-sense. The only reason for someone to revert changes
is when they are not working or introduce a lot of problems. Note that you
have to stick to the freeze-times, so the time before a release should not be
used to introduce big changes, but bug-fixes only. You are of course free to
commit after the release is out. Grab the CVS HEAD version, start hacking,
send patches :)

If you want to have a feature that just works for you but isn't stable/generic
enough to distribute, you can fork the code and keep your changes in your
local version only. With gideon, it is very easy to write plugins, so you
just have to install your own plugin after installing KDevelop.

Best regards,
Harry