KDevelop development questions

Stephen Dzurenko dzurenko at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 5 17:06:28 BST 2003

Hi,

I've been using KDevelop for about a year for software projects I work
on at home for fun.  Recently, I've been trying to use KDevelop for
software development at work.

Most of the development we do here is targeted for Intel x86 Linux
platforms.  We have about 15 developers.  The standard development
process here goes something like this:  Edit code with emacs or nedit,
build with home-grown scripts which provide a front end to gmake and
gcc, and debug with fprintf.

I feel like I am one of the more advanced developers here because I
actually use gdb/ddd and aspire to use a real IDE.  Step in KDevelop.

Unfortunately, I find myself in an atmosphere of closed-mindedness and a
strong desire to foster the status-quo.  For this reason, if I am going
to have ANY success in introducing KDevelop to our development cycle, I
need to make the introduction as smooth as possible.

I have begun developing some new code here at work using KDevelop.  I've
also experimented with porting some of our existing libraries from our
usual script-based build system to KDevelop.

For my own software development at home, I find KDevelop suits me very
well.  I am perfectly happy to follow the KDevelop development style.

However, while using KDevelop here at work, I'm finding many many
features of KDevelop that could be made more flexible and accommodating
to other development styles.  I realize that most of the complaints I
have will seem very very minor.  But they will have huge impacts if and
when I attempt to introduce other developers to KDevelop.  If KDevelop
doesn't have a certain level of flexibility to accommodate other
development styles, there will be significant reluctance to adopt its
use.

I don't want to pepper the list with lots of nit-picky questions at this
point.  I would just like to find out what is the proper protocol for
communicating desired KDevelop code changes and having those changes
implemented.

Is there a body which governs the development of KDevelop?  Are there
any full-time KDevelop developers out there?  If I request a
modification to KDevelop, is there someone who will evaluate and
implement that modification?  Or am I expected to make the change
myself?

If I do modify the KDevelop code myself, who is to decide if the
modification is suitable for release?  It is possible that someone out
there will not like my changes and change them back?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Stephen Dzurenko