New to linux

Les Ferguson lhf at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jul 16 12:46:31 BST 2003

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 16:05, you wrote:
> Hello all,
>             Thanks a ton to you all for the help. I did meet one of my
> collegaues here and he gave me the plus points about installing software in
> linux  ...etc...

ahah, so many people go thru that when they first launch in Linux.
My best advice is to stick with pre-packaged apps for a while, too many people
just starting out get given advice about grabbing tar's & compiling your own.

With certain combinations of sofware, Linux distribution, hardware etc this
can lead to complication and frustration.  If there is a package (whether you
use apt, rpm or something else) and you don't spefically need the latest from
source for bug fixes etc, go with the package and be happy  :)

ps. they tell me you can install 'apt' handlers under Mandrake, so you can
make use of both rpm's and deb's, for the best of both.  This may be fun for
the adventurous moments you will no doubt experience sometime.

good luck
--
Les Ferguson
New Zealand