New to linux

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Tue Jul 15 12:05:37 BST 2003

Hi Varchas,

First it would be nice to know what kind of porting you will be doing, C/C++
program, other?

As much as I like kdevelop myself it's good to know what you are aiming for so
you are using the right tool for the job.

As for answers to your questions; For current kdevelop, there is the OLD
version, which we can call the 'stable' version, and there is the new version
which currently mainly reside in CVS since it's not yet considered stable.

The developers do however prefer if people use the new version, I guess the
reasons are several,
- they don't have the manpower to support the old one.
- the new one is in many respects already better than the old one
- it's more fun ;)

So... assuming the tarball you are talking about is the NEW version (there are
tarballs at different locations (e.g.
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/kde/unstable/kdevelop-3.0-alpha5/src/kdevelop-3.0a5.tar.bz2)

untar it as you described then run (in a shell)
./configure

< the configure step will fail if you are missing some libraries, these should
be installed with debians package manager, someone else would have to tell
you how, since I don't know how>

make
<change to root priviliges>
make install

then you should be all set, run 'gideon'

I guess there are probably packages for debian but I wouldn't know where to
look.

Regards,
Robert