Remote Build

Stefan Taferner taf at porsche.co.at
Wed Jul 2 09:44:33 BST 2003

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to tell you about the project I am working on here at work
and the possible things I could contribute to gideon. Some of you might
remember me from some years ago when I had more time for Kde
development ;-)

We have a rather large software project here, with the main development
done on AIX, and client side development under Windows.

With a redevelopment of the software came the decision to move more
of the code to the server side (AIX). To make things easier for our
Windows using programmers we deceided to use kdevelop. And to
not burden our development machine with GUI stuff I deceided to put
kdevelop on a Linux server and do remote building with some scripts
underneath.  Ok, now for the (hopefully) interesting part.

So the situation is: kdevelop on Linux, make and debug on AIX.

I have some scripts here that wrap make and start the make process
on the AIX machine.

For remote debugging I have made two little programs that allow this.
The problem here is that the debugger needs stdin/stdout/stderr plus
an extra tty for program input/output.

Starting the remote program is not possible yet.

All this was done without changing anything in kdevelop. But there
are some minor things that could make life easier, and would also
help to manage large projects in kdevelop.

If there is interest I would like to contribute the remote build/debug
scripts and help here and there (?)

The software project here could be an interesting large scale testbed
for kdevelop. I am managing 15-20 shared libs and several programs
with one gideon project, and its working very well.

Feedback welcome :-)

Kind regards,
Stefan