ctags

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Mon Dec 22 12:21:15 GMT 2003

Hello Jens!

> You don't specify what exactly it is that "doesn't work reliable". AFAIK,
> the ctags plugin hasn't had too much attention lately, so it's great if
> someone takes a look at it.

The ctags-plugin is one my favorite kdevelop features, so I test it quite
often ;)
Well, the problem is, that it works for some definitions/declarations and for
others not. Until yesterday I only used the external workarounds, so either
running 'ctags -R -n' manually or using a wrapper script. Being somewhat
frustrated using those ugly workarounds and having some time yesterday, I
looked it up in the code directly.

> In this case I can only guess that the use of "-L <filename>" is there
> because it is faster than '-R' and that it should only give ctags relevant
> files to work with. This should work well for projects where the project

Hmm, actually I don't know how '-R' works, do you mean that it also parses
binary-data?

> manager really does have a handle on what files are part of the project.
> Unfortunately, this does not take into account that for several project
> types, this is simply not the case (yet).
>
> So, yes, maybe -R would be better than -L, for the time being.

Well, I could try to debug this a bit, hopefully I will have some time for it
over Christmas - its already the 5th programming project in the queue
(another project is there since September and has a much higher priority ;-)
)

Cheers,
	Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie
e-mail: bernd.schubert at pci.uni-heidelberg.de