kdevelop from CVS: fresh c++ project doesn't compile on suse8.1

Falk Brettschneider falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Wed Oct 23 09:10:14 BST 2002

Hi!

> Hi,
>
> with kdevelop's recent CVS version (KDE_2_2_BRANCH) I cannot compile a
> fresh
> C++ project. During project creation everything looks fine. If I want to
> compile the hello world, I get this message:
>
> gmake all-recursive
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/export/home/eva/test2'
> cd . && \
> /bin/sh /export/home/eva/test2/admin/missing --run automake-1.6 --foreign
> ./Makefile
KDevelop-2.1 internally switches the current working dir from time to time.
This mechanism is very vulnerable. Things completely fail if the dir isn't
the right one at a certain time.
Likely someone changed the code concerning to the setting of that current
dir (maybe W.Tasin can help you) and introduces this new bug in one of the
latest 2.1 releases.
As you can see above the 'missing' script uses a relative dir for the
location of the 'Makefile', so it likely fails because the current dir isn't the
right one.
Actually, the whole concept of having an internal working dir is bad and
constantly triggers bugs. I hope Gideon wont repeat that mistake.

> cd . && perl admin/am_edit Makefile.in
> cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status Makefile
> config.status: error: invalid argument: Makefile
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/eva/test2'
> gmake[1]: *** [Makefile] Error 1
> gmake: *** [all] Error 2
> *** failed ***
>
> After a new configure call it works fine.
>
> Setup on suse 8.1:
> gcc-3.2
> autoconf-2.53
> automake-1.6.3
> libtool-1.4.2
>
> Greetings,
> eva
>
> PS: The buildsystem setup is really a nightmare for kdevelop... my
> students in
> a C/C++ course were not impressed at all. They actually asked for Visual
> Studio :-((
The autotools are a nightmare in itself.
Your students should take qmake and .pro files. The project structure of
such projects is more freely configurable anyway (like in .dsp projects the
files need not to be in subfolders of the Makefile).

KDevelop-2.1 supports qmake projects through Custom projects, KDevelop-3
supports qmake directly.

Ciao
F at lk