GIDEON - Problem with CXXFlags.

Wim-Jan Hilgenbos wimjan at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 16 13:14:19 BST 2002

* David Wartel (dwartel at ulb.ac.be) [021016 11:42]:

> Hi all.
> back on the problem of CXXFlags.
>
> I try to insert some flags into Projoect Options > Configure Options > C++
> " -I$MYPROJECT/addedpart1 -I$MYPROJECT/addedpart2"
>
> when I configure the project, the following error appears:
> " -I/Home/XXX/addedpart2: no such file or directory"
> The first addedpart is found but the second one isn't.
>
> If I switch flags order (" -I$MYPROJECT/addedpart2 -I$MYPROJECT/addedpart1")
> the second part is found but the firt one isn't.
>
> I also tried to add these parts in Automake manager, but no success.
>
> Does Anyone have an Idea?

This seems to be a more general problem. The first and most trivial
problem seems to be a quoting issue.
Options set this way are passed through to configure like:
	CXX_FLAGS=-option1 -option2 ./configure
this should of course be
	CXX_FLAGS="-option1 -option2" ./configure
or something like that.

A more complex problem arises when you add an option here where
gideon has the negative one specified.
Gideons option wins (how could it be otherwise with a codename like this)
because it appears later on the command line.

Suggestion:
	pass these project options by a different name to configure
	like PROJ_CXX_FLAGS and add them in the makefile(.am) to the end of
	the CXX_FLAGS list.
Alternative:
	Make all project options toggable from some menu (including the
	default ones we are not seeing now like -fno-exceptions), maybe
	excluding the defines (or not).

While I'm on the subject: the -g flag for debugging seems to be missing
and the exceptions toggle does the opposite: enabeling exceptions
passes -fno-exceptions. (to  no avail considering the above)

Gr.

WJ