Newbie Questions (kdevelop)

Caleb Tennis caleb at aei-tech.com
Wed Nov 20 12:53:32 GMT 2002

> Well, what I was mostly getting at, is getting the documentation
> compiled for use inside the IDE. If this is not something that is
> available yet (it just looked like it was) then I'll just read the
> online documents.

Yes, it is available.  My Qt installation is in /usr/lib/qt, so I can point
Gideon
to look in /usr/lib/qt/doc and it handles the Qt docs quite nicely.  The
same applies for
KDE, as long as I create the KDE docs when I install KDE.

> Creating documentation for Gideon would be quite the project, a single
> person could take over a year to write it all by hand. I see there are
> scripts that generate HTML documentation, but I'm a bit skeptical about
> the quality of the documentation created. First off there are many
> errors during HTML generation when doing the createkdedoc function.

The basic outline is there, but it is going to require some time to write.

> BTW: The package management systems that I have found so far have been
> nothing but a pain in the behind. I had been wanting to install KDE 3.1
> forever, and had to end up removing everything that was for KDE in RPMs
> to compile the source, because of conflicts etc. RPM and Source dont
> seem to go very well together, its either one or the other it seems.
>
> PS: Finally got KDE 3.1 going though, with antialiasing etc, WOW. :)

I couldn't agree more.  I switched from RPMs to source about a year ago and
I couldn't be happier.  And KDE3.1 with antialiasing is most impressive!

Caleb