does rpm run if not root ?

Bud Rogers budr at sirinet.net
Sun Mar 17 20:58:49 GMT 2002

On Sunday 17 March 2002 14:12 pm, Pucci wrote:
> I understand you point of view, but , my probles is the following :
>
> Some weeks ago,  I had installed the kdevelop_1.3 applicatio, with the
> asspciated packages (gettext, kdoc,...) and that's works fine.
>
> Recently, I was obliged to reinstall all my PC (windows, and Linux, with
the
> Suse7.1 distribution). Every think works fine, (installation,
utilisation of
> standards application, as internet, staroffic,...). Second step wes to
> install again kdevelop_1.3 and it's associated packages. This was
possible
> only in root mode ( If I do not mistake, I think that the first time I
could
> use rpm in non root mode ?). and during the installation of the kdoc2.rpm
> package, some error messages was emitted. After that rpm does not works,
no
> possibility to use rpm application. I quit the session , and try to enter
> again in another session (normal user), The message was : ...chek if
> DCOPserver was running...The kde application environment never start,
only
> linux in console mode could start. The startx command; lead to start kde,
> with the same kind of message ...check if DCOPserver is started,...
>
> I had installed again the Suse distribution, and before to install again
the
> kdevelop applicaiton, I would securise the installation.
> Why the first time that works fine and now it does not?
>
> Thanks for your suggestions .

I am sorry, Pucci, I may not be able to help you.  I ran SuSE 5.2 and 6.3,
but I now use Debian.  I am not as familiar with SuSE and rpm as I once
was.

>From your description I would guess that you have some packages which are
only partially installed.  It should be possible to run rpm from the
command line to determine which packages are causing problems.  I'm sorry
I do not remember the exact commands to do so.

One thing I liked very much about SuSE was the excellent manual that came
with the distribution.  Another was the very helpful people on the SuSE
mailing lists.  I believe there is a French-language SuSE list.  If you
have not yet subscribed to that list, I would highly recommend it.

I am sorry that I cannot help you more.

--
Bud Rogers  <budr at sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.