Questions about QT Designer

Sean Murphy sean.murphy at veridian.com
Wed Jan 23 20:07:40 GMT 2002

This is really a QT Designer question, but I can't find a QT Designer
mail list.  If there is one, I apologize for asking this here, and if
someone could point me to the QT Designer mail list, I'd appreciate it.

I'm trying to create some moving map software that interfaces to a GPS
unit.  The GUI that I am creating will have the moving map area, and
some other widgets to display other information.  I've laid out what I
want the GUI to look like in QT Designer, except for the moving map
area.

The moving map area needs to have a background pixmap, then some sprites
over the top of it that show where we are currently at, and where we
have been.  From reading some of the QT docs, it looks like I want to
use a QCanvas object to do this.  The problem is, what do I do in QT
Designer to layout the QCanvas object?  There is no button (like there
is for a QLabel, QHBox, etc.) to create a QCanvas widget.  I saw under
Tools->Custom there is an "Edit Custom Widgets..." selection, but when I
selected that I wasn't sure what I should put in the resulting dialog
box.

Anyone have any hints?  If I need to add a custom widget, what stuff do
I need to put where to make it work?  Has anyone created other custom
widgets?

Thanks in advance!
Sean