-O1 instead of -O2

W. Tasin tasin at fhm.edu
Thu Jan 10 06:25:38 GMT 2002

Franco De Angelis wrote:

>>We introduced NOOPT_CXXFLAGS as we had some C++ files that had trouble with
>>-O2. I don't care for C files that have problems. If you do, then you may
>>change that
>>

>But wouldn't it be nice if users could decide from the kdevelop GUI
>which options the release package should use for compiling?

Yes it would be nicer, but this means having a real project management,
which can handle configure.in.in and Makefile.ams (some kind of parsing
those files etc.) correctly.
An improved project management is one of the aims of gideon (kdevelop 3.0).

>I don't completely understand why the release package "must"
>use -O2 for compiling... one could want -O1, or -O4, it all depends...

So this release settings are a set of predefined settings, which has
been experienced as "good" settings for many applications.
The -O-flag is one flag, which showed that there were some problems on
certain apps, so there were introduced the NOOPT_CXXFLAGS (for these
exceptions).

>Greetings,
>Franco

Ciao