installer

Jean-Michel POURE jm.poure at freesurf.fr
Wed Jan 9 14:22:20 GMT 2002

In answer to the last mail : kpackage is part of KDE.

>   * The user can preset the stuff that many Unix apps ask to complete
>     on their first startup.
RPM does it automatically if needed.

>   * Also the licence agreement is forced as
>    well as control over the target directory.

GNU Linux offers libraries and applications that can be used by other
applications and libraries. RPM offers a global view of all installed
software with dependency checking. Hence, you can easilly upgrade using
rpm -Uvh package_name

>   * you can specify what components or subproducts you want to install.
>   * Not to forget the language selection.
> - cross-platform apps are conform all OSs. (There's no rpm on Windows)
RPM can split an installer into several RPMs. See PostgreSQL for example :

postgresql-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-contrib-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-devel-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-docs-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-jdbc-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-python-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-server-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-tcl-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-test-7.1.3-8mdk
postgresql-tk-7.1.3-8mdk

RPM is simply the best installer program available to date. Each package
includes all languages. This is the power of open-source !!!

Please do not bring another Windows-like installer to Linux. People are
porting RPM to Cygwin and we will soon live in a free world.

/JMP