installer

F@lk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 10:24:26 GMT 2002

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Mercredi 9 Janvier 2002 05:38, vous avez écrit :
> > is that any program in Linux to create installer program like
> > InstallShield? actually, most of the time, Linux users, especially those
> > newbies and home users are getting frustrated to get a new program running
> > in their system. a lot of problems will be encountered like libraries not
> > found, platform version not corrent, files needed, compile errors and so
> > on.
>
> I do not want to flame you, but are you new to Linux ?
>
> The best installer to date is RPM, which is a universal installer program for
> Linux and most Unixes. Coming back to InstallShield would hurt most of us.
I think an installer has some advantages over package management:
- While installing you have user interaction.
  * The user can preset the stuff that many Unix apps ask to complete
    on their first startup.
  * Also the licence agreement is forced as
   well as control over the target directory.
  * you can specify what components or subproducts you want to install.
  * Not to forget the language selection.
- cross-platform apps are conform all OSs. (There's no rpm on Windows)

Le Mercredi, if you look for a framework for your installer, take a look
at
QWizard as well as the implementation of the KDevelop setup wizard in
the
KDevelop sources. At least the base class for the wizard pages are of
interest for installers.

Ciao,F at lk