RH8.0 (was: Gideon)

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Fri Dec 13 13:00:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 01:33, Edward Wilson wrote:
> Thanks...
>
> I guess 1ghz with a gig of ram isn't enough. :)
>
> What the hell happened to RedHat 8.0?  Sorry if I'm
> steppin' on toes, but the new redhat seriously sucks!
> I'm disappointed; and what the hell happened to KDE?
> I was expecting something amazing, honestly, I think
> they have gone a step backwards in time here.  I heard
> that RH messed with KDE; that is an understatement!
> It looks like `low fat' Gnome.
>
> Actually, I can't tell the difference between the
> desktops--it's almost seemless.

That's exactly the intention from RedHat. They wanted to unify the
desktops look to make it more like you-know-what. For new linux users I
can imagine it's not that easy to grasp the concept of "which desktop do
you want to use"? To someone coming from xxx this is probably absurd.

> How does one go about installing the real KDE?

RedHat has the real KDE. Search the web if you want to get back the
original look and feel.

> What distro comes recommended by the KDE folks
> nowadays--it sure the hell isn't redhat.

Well, it's still RH for me...

Tarjei