Database variable length Problem

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Wed Apr 24 17:48:29 BST 2002

Hi,

> Now i want to know is there any mechanism through which i can find the
> exact size of the individual fileds...i.e., i should get 10 for name
> field.........n what will i get for age?(i think platform specific.....)
>
> Please can anyone tell me any developer group where i can get info for
> these kind of questions that r not related to kdevelop?
>
> I sincerely appologize as i posted a question not related to
> kdevelop..........

try the mailing lists of the PostgreSQL guys.

Just take a look at the Qt 3 SQL module (file: qsql_psql.cpp), it is a full
featured wrapper for libpq. In
QSqlRecordInfo QPSQLDriver::recordInfo( const QString& tablename )
you can find a query over the internal tables that give you the size of a
field.

Best regards,
Harry