Database variable length Problem

Shra shravan at yaskatech.com
Wed Apr 24 13:49:15 BST 2002

Hi all,

Am using PostgreSQL as my database, but the problem is i want to find the
length/width of the field that i define...for example........

let there b a table test with two fields as name and age as shown here....

"Table test (name varchar(10), age numeric);"

Now the problem is when i use the function PQfsize am getting -1 for name
field rather than 10 as documentation says any field with varying size is
returned -1.

Am keeping the statements as is here from documentation.....
"PQfsize Returns the size in bytes of the field associated with the given
field index. Field indices start at 0.
int PQfsize(const PGresult *res,
            int field_index); PQfsize returns the space allocated for this
field in a database tuple, in other words the size of the server's binary
representation of the data type. -1 is returned if the field is variable
size."

Now i want to know is there any mechanism through which i can find the exact
size of the individual fileds...i.e., i should get 10 for name
field.........n what will i get for age?(i think platform specific.....)

Please can anyone tell me any developer group where i can get info for these
kind of questions that r not related to kdevelop?

I sincerely appologize as i posted a question not related to
kdevelop..........

Shra