Joining the project

F@lk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 22:41:42 BST 2001

Welcome Janico,

janico wrote:

> Hi,
> I read in the "Linux-Magazin" that the KDevelop project needs members and as
> I wanted to start doing Open Source programming, I thought that joining
> KDevelop might be a good idea. I have some experience in C++ programming
> but this would be my first Open Source thing and so I don't know how to
> proceed. It would be kind of you to send me some tips on how to start and what
> to do.
>
> Thank you
>         Janico
Cool that you want to join. :-)

The usual way is to checkout the sources from KDE's cvs server like
described on the download section on www.kdevelop.org since every team
programming here is done with the help of the CVS source management.
Checkout the HEAD cvs branch. If you need a good tool for CVS actions,
look at www.lincvs.org.
Compile this KDevelop working copy and let it run. Have a look what
currently works and what does not.

Second, read all files like READMEs and such hint files in the source
file tree (mainly in the project root dir).
Study the main classes of the KDevelop project, try to understand the
basic mechanisms. Send your questions to the kdevelop-devel
mailing-list.

Then pick up an interesting topic or partial project and try your first
patch. Send the patch to kdevelop-devel for discussion and reviewing.
Good is if you're not alone with your task or if the team welcomes your
ideas.

If the patch is cool, usually the team will apply it and you'll get a
real cvs access account and you can do things without reviewing first.

A good idea is to help with implementing the editor/MDI stuff for
KDevelop 3.0 (Gideon). Although that's core functionality of KDevelop,
not plugin. At present we have it in KDevelop 2.0 but not yet in Gideon.
Please, compare both versions concerning the editor and GUI.

Cheers,
F at lk